Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Blog Voices

Congratulations to my friend Mario Romano for reaching 100 posts in October. The grand total of my posts from Nov/2006 doesn't reach 50, so it's an impressive figure.

That got me thinking in what I value on blogs, like the update frequency, the voice, and made me evaluate what are the blogs that I read most and that are my biggest influences.

So, here are the bloggers that I can't miss and which posts I value the most:

  • Joel on Software is one of the expert voices that has been around longer. His posts show through his experience, and his opinions on Human Resources (hiring developers, ), Software Development (Process, UI), Project Management and Economics (Buy vs Build) are truly outstanding;
  • Coding Horror is another great blog, with great opinions on Programming, Software Development, Project Management, and some off-topics that appeal to many programmers, that keeps an independent voice (somestimes a bit controverse);
  • DevCatharsis, from my friend Mario Romano is a very good all rounder which has the same main interests that I have right now: Architecture, Functional Programming and Software Development Process;

Some more focusing on a specific area:

  • On SQL, there's Kimberly L. Tripp and her great posts on index tuning and general SQL tuning. Has many code samples and comparative tests on performance;
  • Paul Graham- Unofficial RSS Feed has some great insights on Lisp and recently a focus on startups;
  • On Functional Programming, with a twist and focus to imperative developers, I really like defmacro.org (great articles on FP for the rest of us) and Did it with .NET (with a focus on C# 3.0 and recently F#). See also The Mechanical Bride (C# 3.0, Linq and lots of => lambdas);
  • On Performance, Rico Mariani s Performance Tidbits, are a must, although it's been somewhat quiet since he became Chief Architect of Visual Studio (a huge job indeed). It has great analysis on performance from a very high level right down to the bit;
  • On Microsoft, don't miss Mini-Microsoft to get a feeling on Microsoft internals, Human Resources, shares and profits;
  • Creating Passionate Users from Kathy Sierra, which is shutdown due to some creeps that harassed her, has many good points on user focus and learning (she's one of the Head First series editors);
  • On a fun perspective (or maybe not, as it reflects our reality), I really like Worse Than Failure and Dilbert (Ok, it's not a blog);
  • There are also some other authors like Martin Fowler, Bruce Eckel that I prefer in book format, and Ted Neward on article format and not so much on blog format;

Ok, the list is getting long but I try to keep up to date on these. So what blogs am I missing and why?

What's on your blog short list? If someone reads this, post your list and the reasons why it's on your list.

4 comments:

Mário Romano said...

Except for my poor blog, great list André! I'll post my must-read list as soon as I can. Until then here are my candidates to your list - from the top of my head:

.infoq
.theserverside.net
.p&p
.ISerializable
.Ayende
.Bellware
.Scobleizer
.ScottGu
.Hanselman, Haack and Conery (the last bloggers bought by Microsoft)
.LambdaTheUltimate
.bink.nu
.slashdot

I must confess I also read the "Old New Thing" for no practical reason, but probably because it reminds me of the pre .NET world. And good old Don Box, Petzold and Pietrek for the same reason.

Mário Romano said...

Now that I think of it, I totally forgot the architecture blogs like:
.skyscrapr
.Ron Jacobs's ARCast
.thinktecture

Oops...

Mário Romano said...

Here's another great blog for data gurus like yourself:

OakLeaf Systems
http://oakleafblog.blogspot.com

OakLeaf Systems is a Northern California software consulting organization specializing in developing and writing about Microsoft SQL Server 2005, SQL Server CE, .NET database, LINQ, ADO.NET Entity Framework and Web services projects.

Unknown said...

louis vuitton held a Stephen Sprouse Graffiti Launch Party on January 9th to pay homage to this great louis vuitton bags who passed in 2004, with the release of the limited editon Graffiti line.
Stephen Sprouse, a louis vuitton handbags credited with pioneering the 1980s mix of “uptown sophistication in clothing with a downtown punk and pop sensibility”, collaborated with Marc Jacobs for Louis Vuitton in 2001 made the graffiti-printed fashion. This is a great and bold attempt for conservative Louis Vuitton. All graffiti pieces are sold out instantly. Then, lv have a wider-ranged cooperation. In 2002, Stephen Sprouse created a vast collection of men’s and women’s apparel, home accessories, sports gear, etc.
In this launch party, one of graffiti collection, replica louis vuitton handbags Stephen Sprouse Graffiti Speedy 30, are revisited in fluorescent Monogram Graffiti canvas, channeling the culture of the present times. Speedy 30 is a classic silhouette in style for years to celebrities, going well with everything, from jeans to dresses. Meanwhile, it is function. The monogram canvas is lightweight, supple, strong and sturdy. lv handbag waterproof, it is highly resistant to surface scratches- prefect for travel and contemporary lifestyles.